Instagram has become a go-to space for billions across the globe to share images, stories and build connections. Among various interactive features of this popular platform, one that stands out is the ability to like posts that resonate with you. These ‘liked posts on Instagram’ become your way of approving or showing appreciation towards content on this platform.
However, tracking your own ‘liked posts’ can be a bit daunting, thanks to the endless feed and extensive user base. This blog post addresses this very problem, offering a comprehensive guide on how to see liked posts on Instagram.
Gone are the days when you would stumble upon a fantastic photo or a significant post, drop a like, and forget about it, only to later wrack your brains about its whereabouts. With Instagram enabling users to keep track of their ‘liked posts,’ you no longer have to worry about losing a noteworthy post in the crowd.
In the following read, we’ll explore the step-by-step process to easily locate your ‘liked posts on Instagram’. Whether you’re an avid Instagrammer or visit the platform occasionally, this guide will help you navigate your Instagram activity with ease.
Why You May Want to View Liked Posts on Instagram?
People use Instagram for a variety of reasons, and the platform offers diverse types of content ranging from fashion, travel, music, food, culture, art, and many more. Understanding our past activity can be insightful, entertaining, and valuable. Here are some reasons why you might want to revisit the posts you’ve previously liked:
Revisiting Inspiring Content
Instagram is full of inspiring content. Whether it’s an inspiring quote, a refreshing aesthetic, a motivational workout video, an intriguing abstract painting, or a stunning sunset photo – your ‘liked’ posts can serve as a repository for inspiration. Going through your liked posts could reignite the spark for a new idea or remind you of something that you found uplifting or energizing.
Finding an Older post for Reference
Often we come across posts that contain helpful information and we ‘like’ these posts with the intention of revisiting them later. However, with the rapid flow of information on Instagram, it can be difficult to locate these posts again. By viewing your liked posts, you can easily find these helpful references, whether they are DIY videos, cooking recipes, or insightful posts about your interests.
Pure Entertainment or Reminiscing
Sometimes, it’s just plain fun to look back on what you’ve liked in the past. It gives a nostalgic journey through your tastes, interests, mood, and activities at a certain period. Especially if you’ve been using Instagram for a long time, your liked posts effectively constitute a digital scrapbook of past interests and trends you’ve engaged with. It can be a joy to look back and remember these moments.
How Instagram’s Like Feature Works?
Instagram has a simple and user-friendly interface that allows users to engage with posts by liking them. Let’s dive into how the ‘like’ feature works and how it differs from the ‘save’ option on Instagram.
Overview of the “like” functionality on Instagram
The ‘like’ feature on Instagram allows users to express their appreciation or interest in a particular post. When browsing posts on Instagram, you’ll notice a small heart icon underneath each image or video. Tapping this icon enables users to ‘like’ the post. This feature allows content creators to gauge their audience’s engagement and helps in surfacing popular posts to a broader audience.
Here’s how Instagram tracks and stores your ‘like’ activity:
- Whenever you tap the heart icon to like a post, Instagram records the action and notifies the content creator of your ‘like’.
- Instagram stores the information about your likes in your account settings, under the “Posts You’ve Liked” section, making it easier for you to review your previous activity and revisit those posts.
- The algorithm also uses your activity to adjust your feed, showing you more similar content based on your past likes.
The difference between liking posts and saving them
While both ‘liking’ and ‘saving’ posts imply an interest in the content, there are a few key differences between these two functionalities:
- Visibility: When you like a post, the content creator and possibly your followers will be able to see that you liked the post, whereas saved posts are private and only visible to you.
- Purpose: Liking a post serves as an engagement and appreciation metric for content creators and influences your feed algorithm, while saving a post helps you create a personal collection or archive of posts for future reference.
- Organization: Saved posts can be organized into different collections or categories, whereas liked posts are displayed in reverse chronological order and cannot be sorted or categorized.
- Access: To access liked posts, you need to go to your account settings and find the “Posts You’ve Liked” section, while saved posts can be accessed directly from your profile through the “Saved” tab (bookmark icon).
The like feature on Instagram serves as a way to engage with content creators and track your past activity, while the save option offers a more organized and private way of storing posts for future reference.
Navigating Through Liked Posts
Navigating through your liked posts is straightforward. Once you’re on the “Posts You’ve Liked” page, you can simply scroll through the collection to view the posts. While there’s no direct way of sorting these posts other than the reverse chronological order that Instagram displays them in, managing and exploring these liked posts can still be a simple process.
Tips for Exploring Liked Posts
- Swipe left to see more posts, which are displayed in a grid format.
- Tap on any post to view it in detail. You can also tap on the username or profile picture to visit the respective profile.
- If you want to revisit the posts frequently, consider saving them. Saved posts are easier to access and can be organized into distinct collections.
How to Unlike Posts
If you’ve decided that you no longer want a particular post in your likes, you can easily ‘unlike’ it.
- Tap on the post to view it in detail.
- Tap the ‘Heart’ icon again to unlike the post. The heart will change from red back to its original outline, confirming the post has been unliked.
Remember, the user or the content creator will not be notified if you unlike their posts.
Tips for Revisiting Liked Posts
- Make it a habit to check your “Posts You’ve Liked” section regularly if you use likes to bookmark posts.
- Consider shifting towards using the ‘Save’ feature to bookmark posts for revisiting, as it is more accessible and allows better organization.
How to View Liked Posts on Instagram
Below are the steps to see liked posts on Instagram for both Android/iPhone users as well as for users on a PC (using the Layoutify Chrome Extension).
For Android/iPhone Users:
- Open the Instagram app on your smartphone and log in.
- Tap on your profile picture in the bottom corner of your feed to visit your main profile.
- Tap on the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) in the top right corner.
- Select “Your Activity” from the pop-up menu bar.
- Tap on “Likes” to display your likes history.
*Please note that you won’t be able to view liked posts or videos that have been deleted by the user.
For PC Users (Using Layoutify Chrome Extension):
- Open Google Chrome and type “Layoutify Chrome Extension” in the search bar.
- Click on “Add to Chrome” and then “Add Extension” to install it.
- Once the extension is installed, visit www.instagram.com.
- The Instagram layout would have changed, and additional features would now be available.
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner of the page.
- You will now be able to view all posts/videos you have liked on Instagram.
By following these steps, you can easily view your liked posts on Instagram, regardless of whether you are using a smartphone or a computer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some common questions readers might have about viewing liked posts on Instagram:
Can other people see which posts I’ve liked on Instagram?
No, others cannot see your liked posts through your profile. However, people who follow you and the content creator might see that you’ve liked a particular post within their activity feed, under the “Following” tab.
Are my liked posts private?
While they’re not displayed publicly on your profile, liked posts can be seen by people who follow you and the content creator in their activity feed. However, this visibility is limited, and it’s unlikely that someone would actively browse through that section to find your liked posts.
Can I view the liked posts from my desktop computer?
Yes, you can view your liked posts from a desktop computer. Simply visit Instagram’s website, log in to your account, and follow the steps mentioned earlier in this guide under “Navigating to Account Settings” and “Heading to ‘Posts You’ve Liked’.”
Can I download my liked posts?
Instagram doesn’t provide a direct way to download liked posts. However, there are third-party tools available that allow you to download Instagram media, including photos and videos. To download a post, first visit the respective post, copy the URL, and paste it into a compatible third-party downloader.
How often does Instagram update my liked posts?
The “Posts You’ve Liked” section on Instagram updates in real-time. As soon as you like a new post, it should appear on the top of your liked posts list.
Can I filter or search for a specific liked post?
Instagram doesn’t offer a direct way of filtering or searching your liked posts. However, you can save posts that you may want to revisit in the future and organize them into collections for easier navigation.
Why am I unable to see some posts in my ‘Posts You’ve Liked’ section?
There could be several reasons for this:
- The content creator might have deleted the post.
- The content creator might have archived the post, making it temporarily inaccessible.
- The content creator’s account could’ve been deleted or suspended.
- You have accidentally unliked the post, removing it from your liked posts list.
Throughout this guide, we have explored the different aspects of the ‘liked posts’ feature on Instagram. This feature is a powerful tool for users to engage with the Instagram community, support creators, and bookmark interesting content for future reference.
Being able to view liked posts allows you to retrace your interactions and rediscover content enjoyed in the past. Paired with the ‘Save’ feature, ‘liked posts’ can transform your Instagram usage from passive browsing to actively cataloging and revisiting engaging content.
However, the key to maximizing the potential of these features lies in understanding their functionality and how to navigate them smoothly. From accessing your liked posts, unliking them if necessary, to saving posts for better organization and ease of access, every step outlined in this guide is aimed at improving your Instagram user experience.
As you continue to explore the diverse world of Instagram, we encourage you to engage more with the content and the creators. Your likes not only reflect your interests but also play a vital role in supporting and encouraging the creators you follow. By liking, saving, and revisiting posts, you can contribute to the vibrant and dynamic Instagram community.
Remember, the Instagram experience is not just about posting. It’s about participating, engaging, and making connections. So continue to like and save the posts that pique your interest and make your Instagram journey memorable.